Juice Hackers Developer Platform,
Thank you for your interest in the Juice Hackers community and our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints. The aim of our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints is to build a collaborative developer ecosystem.
We encourage developers such as yourself to use our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints to build your own widgets to interface with and enhance your systems, software and applications (Your Applications).
- Application of Terms
- Access and Access Keys
- Your responsibilities
- Intellectual Property
- Open source software
- Our Confidential Information
- Termination or Suspension
- Warranties and Liability
- General Provisions
1. Application of Terms
In these terms The Energy Collective, we, us, or our means The Energy Collective Limited and its Related Companies, successors and assigns.
These Terms apply to your use of our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints, including use of all services, software, content, code, Data, images, information and other materials published on or available through our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints.
By using our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints you confirm that you accept these Terms and agree to comply with them. If you do not agree to these Terms you are not authorised to access and use our Developer Platform, APIs or API Endpoints and must immediately cease doing so.
If you access and use our Developer Platform, API’s and API Endpoints on behalf of another person or entity, you confirm that you are fully authorised to do so and agree to these Terms on that person or entity's behalf.
In order to access and use our APIs and API Endpoints and develop Widgets, you must register for an account through our Developer Platform at https: (Developer Account). /developer.electrickiwi.co.nz
Your registration must specify:
- the API Endpoints you wish to access and describe in full the purpose for which you wish to access such API Endpoints; and
- a description of the proposed Your Widgets you wish to develop, including each of Your Widgets’ intended functionality and purpose.
All information contained in your registration must be true, accurate, complete and not misleading in any way.
We may accept or decline your registration to use any API Endpoint(s) and/or develop Your Widgets in our sole discretion. We are not required to give you reasons if we decline all or any part of your registration. We may request further information from you before accepting or declining all or any part of your registration.
3. Access and Access Keys
Once we accept your registration, we grant you a non-exclusive, revocable, and non-transferable licence to access and use the APIs, API Endpoints, Data and, if applicable, to develop Your Widgets, for the purpose specified in your registration and as otherwise specified in these Terms (Approved Purpose).
We will issue you with Access Keys for Your Application to access, as applicable:
- those specific API Endpoints for which registration has been accepted;
- the sandbox environment at https: (Sandbox Environment) for the purpose of building, testing and developing Your Widgets; and /api-dev.electrickiwi.co.nz
- Your Widgets, once such widgets have been developed by you and approved by us as live.
Each Access Key issued to you is unique to you, and you agree:
- to keep each Access Key secret and secure and to not share it with any other person (including, for the avoidance of doubt, any other Juice Hacker);
- you will be responsible for any activity using each Access Key by any person or entity, regardless whether such activity was authorised by you or conducted without your knowledge.
- To access and use any Widget, you must expressly authorise the Widget via the Widget’s interface before you will be able to access any Data through the Widget.
We encourage you to develop Your Widgets to interface with our APIs and API Endpoints, and to make these available to the Juice Hackers community. Upon your request, we may provide you with instructions, support and program methodology (Methodology) to assist you in developing Your Widgets. While we will use reasonable endeavours to ensure the Methodology is accurate to the best of our knowledge, we do not warrant that the Methodology (and any associated data that we provide) will be free from errors or anomalies. You must notify us if you identify any errors or anomalies in the Methodology.
You must build, test and develop Your Widgets within the Sandbox Environment. We will make available dummy Data to you for use in testing and developing Your Widget.
Once you consider Your Widget is ready for production you must contact us at https: referencing your GitHub repository that contains Your Widget source code for Electric Kiwi to fork and review. If we approve Your Widget, we will issue you with a live Access Key to access such of Your Data that Your Widget requires. /developer.electrickiwi.co.nz
You will be responsible for all costs associated with the development of Your Widgets.
4. Your responsibilities
You are not permitted to use any of our APIs or API Endpoints, Widgets or Data for any commercial use or purpose.
You agree that you will:
- use the APIs, API Endpoints and Data for the Approved Purpose only and not for any other purpose;
- use the APIs, API Endpoints and Data in accordance with all applicable laws;
- at all times follow best security practices to keep all Access Keys, Data, the Developer Platform, the APIs, API Endpoints and our Intellectual Property secure and free from unauthorised access or use; and
- use the APIs and API Endpoints in accordance with any rate limits which we may impose from time to time in our sole discretion.
You must not, and, if you are an entity, you must ensure your employees, agents, contractors do not:
- use or access the Developer Platform, APIs, APIs Endpoints or Data for any purpose other than the Approved Purpose, or for any other purpose which is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms or which violates our rights or potentially exposes us to liability;
- introduce (or cause the introduction of) any virus, worm, malware or other similar feature that in any way compromises or may compromise our Developer Platform, APIs or API Endpoints or any applications of other Juice Hackers with access to our Developer Platform, APIs or API Endpoints;
- damage, disrupt or interfere with our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints and all related systems and software;
- use or refer to any of our trade marks, business names or logos (including the trade marks, business names or logos of our Related Companies) in any of Your Applications, on your website or in any other publication without our express written permission;
- act in a manner which (in our opinion) adversely affects our reputation;
- copy, reverse-engineer, reproduce. modify or attempt to extract the source code from our Developer Platform, APIs or API Endpoints or any of our Intellectual Property;
- resell, sublicence, assign, transfer any Data to any third party;
- use any Data to assist with sending any unsolicited marketing communication to any person (electronic or otherwise);
- use or attempt to use the Developer Platform, APIs or APIs Endpoints to access the Data of any other Juice Hacker or Electric Kiwi customer, or aggregate the Data of multiple Juice Hackers or Electric Kiwi customers;
- create an API or API Endpoint or similar function designed to enhance Your Applications that functions substantially the same as or similar to any of our APIs and API Endpoints, websites, mobile apps and applications, widgets or other Intellectual Property;
- use the APIs or API Endpoints in a manner which (in our opinion) puts excessive load on any of or servers; or
- act in a manner which (in our opinion) undermines our business logic and rules or otherwise has a detrimental commercial effect on our business.
While we make every effort to ensure our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints are available at all times, we do not warrant or undertake that will always be so. There may be times when our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints are temporarily unavailable for maintenance, emergencies or for other reasons beyond our control. We will not be liable to you for any loss, costs or expenses you may incur if our Developer Platform, APIs or API Endpoints are unavailable at any time.
We may from to time and at our discretion modify, replace, upgrade, discontinue or remove any functionality of the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints (Modification). Your continued use of the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints following a Modification shall be deemed acceptance of that Modification. You acknowledge that you will be responsible for all costs associated with any change to Your Applications required by the Modification.
7. Intellectual Property
Subject to clause 9, we own or licence all rights, title, interest, including all intellectual property rights (whether existing in statute, at common law or in equity), in the Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints, our products and services, all related technology, websites, mobile apps and applications, and any widgets created by us (Our Materials), including all information, code, Data, materials, know-how, software, databases, applications and other content contained on or within any of Our Materials, together with all trademarks, service marks, and trade names related to us and used on or within any of Our Systems or otherwise owned by The Energy Collective, and any improvements, modifications or derivative works of the foregoing (Intellectual Property). You acknowledge that nothing in these Terms grants you any rights, title, interest or intellectual property rights in any of our Intellectual Property.
Subject to clause 9, you own the copyright in Your Code, subject to our underlying rights in the Intellectual Property. You grant to us a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free and irrevocable licence to access, copy, display, modify and use such code for the purposes of:
- integrating all or part of Your Code and/or Your Widget into our Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints or any other Intellectual Property for any purpose;
- carrying out internal testing (including security testing);
- sharing all or part of Your Code and/or Your Widget (at our sole discretion) with the Juice Hackers Community.
If you provide any suggestions, comments or feedback to us on our Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints or any other services we offer, you grant us a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free and irrevocable licence to The Energy Collective to exploit such suggestions, comments or feedback for any purpose, including to improve, upgrade or otherwise modify our Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints or any other services we offer.
Unless permitted by these Terms, the contents of our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints may not be distributed, modified, reproduced, or used, in whole or in part, without our prior written consent. This includes any documents available for download, such as user manuals and certificates, which must only be used for the Approved Purpose.
8. Open source software
Some of the software required by or included in our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints may be offered under an open source licence. To the limited extent the open source licence expressly supersedes these Terms, the open source licence instead sets forth your agreement with The Energy Collective for the applicable open source software.
9. Our Confidential Information
Except as permitted in this clause 8, you may not disclose, communicate or distribute to any third party any of our Confidential Information.
If you are an entity, you may disclose our Confidential Information to your employees, agents and contractors on a need to know basis, but only where they have agreed in writing to comply with at least the same obligations of confidentiality under this clause 8. You agree that you will be wholly responsible for all acts and omissions of your employees, agents and contractors concerning any Confidential Information disclosed to them.
You will not have to observe any duty of confidentiality concerning Confidential Information that:
- consists solely of Your Data;
- we have given our prior written consent to the disclosure of;
- is required to be disclosed by law;
- is necessary to be disclosed to enable you to perform your obligations under these Terms; or
- at the time of disclosure is in, or subsequently enters, the public domain otherwise than by breach of any duty of confidentiality under these Terms.
10. Termination or Suspension
The agreement between you and us governed by these Terms will commence on the date you agree to these Terms and remains in effect until terminated.
You may terminate these Terms at any time by ceasing to use the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints and notifying us. We may terminate these Terms for any reason by giving you not less than 10 days prior written notice.
We may, in our sole discretion, terminate these Terms with immediate effect by disabling access to your Developer Account if you:
- are in breach of these Terms;
- become, or we consider that you are likely to become, insolvent, bankrupt, liquidated, is placed in voluntary administration or has a receiver appointed in any part of your business;
- have not used any of your Access Keys for a period of not less than three months; or
- you cease to be a customer of Electric Kiwi for any of the reasons set out in our standard electricity supply terms and conditions located at https:; /www.electrickiwi.co.nz/legal/terms-and-conditions/
- do anything that we consider could be detrimental to Juice Hackers, or contrary to the intent and purpose of the Developer Platform and APIs.
We may immediately suspend or temporarily disable your access to the Developer Platform and/or any APIs at any time without notice if we consider, in our sole discretion, you have failed to comply with any term or condition of these Terms or there has been unauthorised access to or use of the Developer Platform, APIs or Data.
Upon the termination of these Terms (for whatever reason):
- you must immediately cease using our Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints and Data (other than Your Data);
- you must permanently delete all property belonging to The Energy Collective which is in your possession or control, including all Intellectual Property, Data (other than Your Data) and Confidential Information; and
- all rights and licences granted under these Terms shall immediately cease, except where they are expressed to survive termination under clause 12.2.
Termination of these Terms will not affect any accrued rights or obligations of any of the Parties.
11. Warranties and Liability
While we make every effort to ensure all Data, information and content provided on our Developer Platform and through our APIs and API Endpoints is appropriate, relevant, accurate, available and free from bugs or viruses, we do not warrant or undertake that will always be so.
The Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints and Data are provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to the implied warranties or merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. Electric Kiwi does not warrant that the functions contained in the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints will meet your requirements, or that any Data will be accurate and free from errors or anomalies, or that the operation of the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints will be uninterrupted or error free. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints and any use of Data is with you.
To the fullest extent permitted by law, Electric Kiwi will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, consequential loss, loss of profits, loss of data or loss of user content), damage, cost or expense of any kind suffered or incurred in connection with your use of our Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints or Data.
To the extent that any liability cannot be excluded under law, our maximum aggregate liability arising under or in connection with these Terms, whether arising in contract, tort (including negligence) or restitution, or for breach of statutory duty or misrepresentation or otherwise shall in all circumstances be limited to NZD1,000.00.
You hereby indemnify us, and will keep us indemnified, from and against any and all forms of liability, losses, damages, actions, proceedings, demands, costs, charges and expenses which we may incur or be subject to or suffer (including any reasonable legal fees or amount paid by way of settlement) arising directly or indirectly as a result of your use of the Developer Platforms, APIs, API Endpoints and Data (including unauthorised use if you have failed to comply with these Terms).
14. General Provisions
Variation to Terms: We reserve the right to make changes to these Terms from time to time. We will provide notice of the change by uploading the updated Terms on our Developer Platform. After providing that notice you will be deemed to have accepted those updated Terms if you continue to use our Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints.
Survival: The provisions of clauses 7, 8, 9.5, 10, 11 and this clause 12.2 shall survive the termination of these Terms.
No assignment: You must not assign, transfer or sublicence, or purport to assign, transfer or sublicence, any of your rights or obligations under these Terms without the prior written consent of Electric Kiwi.
No waiver: We will not be deemed to have waived any right under these Terms unless the waiver is in writing and signed by us.
Severability: If any provision of these Terms becomes invalid or unenforceable, the remainder of these Terms will remain valid and enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law.
Governing law: These Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of New Zealand and New Zealand courts will have non-exclusive jurisdiction in relation to any matter arising under or relating to these Terms.
The following definitions apply in these Terms:
APIs means any of our Application Program Interfaces.
API Endpoints means a URL through which requests are sent (in a structured text format) and responded to by any of our APIs.
Access Key means any access key we provide to you to access the API and a specific API Endpoint, for either the Sandbox Environment or live environment.
Approved Purposes has the meaning given to that term in clause 3.1.
Confidential Information means your Access Keys to the Developer Platform, any non-public financial, business or commercial information relating to Electric Kiwi, the Juice Hackers Community, the Developer Platform, APIs or API Endpoints (in any form) which you may receive or obtain in connection with these Terms and any other information that you should reasonably understand to be confidential under the circumstances of disclosure.
Data means any data which we make available to you under these Terms or through the Developer Platform, APIs and API Endpoints, including Your Data unless otherwise stated.
Developer Platform means our developer platform available at https:. /developer.electrickiwi.co.nz
Electric Kiwi means Electric Kiwi Limited, a Related Company of The Energy Collective.
Intellectual Property has the meaning given to that term in clause 7.1.
Juice Hacker means any current Electric Kiwi customer who has registered for a Developer Account and has been granted access to the Developer Platform, APIs, API Endpoints and Widgets.
Juice Hackers Community means Electric Kiwi and the network of Juice Hackers.
Modification has the meaning given to that term in clause 6.1.
Related Company means any “related company” (as defined in section 2(3) of the Companies Act 1993, but with that meaning extended by reading section 2(3) of the Companies Act 1993 as if “company” included any body corporate (wherever incorporated or formed)) of Electric Kiwi.
Sandbox Environment has the meaning given to that term in clause 3.2b.
Widget means any widget that interfaces with our API Endpoints, and includes any of Your Widgets unless otherwise stated.
You means you, the person or entity entering into these Terms and your has a corresponding meaning.
Your Applications has the meaning given to that term in the introduction to these Terms.
Your Code means any source code that is created by you in connection with the development of Your Widgets.
Your Data means any Data that solely relates to our supply of electricity to you as a customer of Electric Kiwi.
Your Widget means any Widget developed by you in accordance with clause 4.